The mens black dress shirt is a unique piece of menswear that (if worn correctly) conveys a rugged and masculine confidence. The man in black (aka Johnny Cash) owes his persona to this trademark look. There are plenty of ‘faux pas’ that you could make with the black dress shirt, which we’ll try to guide you on. The easiest guidance we can offer is — KEEP IT SIMPLE.
The Do’s and Don’ts for Mens Black Dress Shirts
- DO pair a black dress shirt with other black garments, i.e. a blazer, slacks, jeans, shoes, etc… As Johnny would attest, black goes great with black. An all black look is certainly bold but it can be pulled off as recent Academy Award winner Mahershala Ali can attest.
- DO NOT pair a black dress shirt with other darker tones, i.e. red, navy, dark green, brown, etc… Black works well as a contrast. As such, the worst contrast is with other darker tones. The look below is cartoonish and perfect for a costume event but will otherwise get you laughed out of a room.
- DO pair a black dress shirt with dark denim. The mens black dress shirt was meant to be worn with jeans. It is a perfect combination and one the easiest and sleekest casual ensembles. You can also go tucked or untucked. For advise on the proper tucked shirt length, check out our Untucked Shirt Length Guide.
- DO wear a black dress shirt with a dark blazer. It is a bold, clean look that you can use as a goto for any cocktail hour event. Add a matching black tie for an even more formal look.
- DO NOT wear a black dress shirt with anything white. Whereas a white dress shirt goes perfect with a black tie / suspenders / suit / slacks, the same cannot be said for the opposite. A black dress shirt with a white tie is perfect if you’re an underworld figure from the 1920s. In any other era, it will just draw stares — and not the good kind.
- DO wear a black dress shirt regardless of your skin tone / hair color. A common, shortsighted belief is that those with lighter skin / hair should not wear a black dress shirt as the contrast is too “bold”. We wholeheartedly disagree. The model shown in many of our photos is obviously lighter skinned and has light brown hair. We think he looks fantastic. Don’t let a foolish and culturally ignorant opinion prevent you from wearing the look that you want to wear.
Our Favorite Mens Black Dress Shirts
The Formal Mens Black Dress Shirt
Fabric / Attributes:
This is one shirt every man should own. Our performance stretch will drape you elegantly but also give you just a small amount of stretch that will not only provide ease but give you more of a fitted look that is not usually achievable with a traditional fabric. The elegant Italian Spread collar pairs perfectly with this shirt and looks very dapper under a blazer. Additionally, we paired this shirt with specialty cocktail cuffs that give the shirt a much more unique appearance. As with all of the shirts here, we recommend either dry cleaning or machine washing on cold and then air drying. NEVER machine dry. Dryers rob the shirts cotton of moisture which shorten their life.
Where to Buy It:
The Casual, All Purpose Mens Black Dress Shirt
Fabric / Attributes:
- 50% Bamboo / 50% Cotton Poplin Weave
- English Spread Collar
- 2 Button Square Cuffs
Our bamboo / cotton blend is a unique fabric like no other we offer. The bamboo weave provides benefits that you’re likely to only find on a dry fit / athletic shirt, i.e. moisture wicking, heat dissipation, and wrinkle resistance. Though it can be worn formally, we prefer it for more casual settings. In terms of attributes, this shirt comes with our classic English spread collar and 2 button square cut cuffs. The other benefit of this shirt is it’s durability. Bamboo has a life cycle almost 3x that of cotton. As such, you can expect to wear this shirt 2–3x a week if necessary for several years.
Where to Buy It:
Check out some of our other Popular Guides…